Thursday, December 18, 2008

The class of the glass

These white wines are classic, vibrant, seductive, and run the gamut of tastes one could wish. I have my own issues with white wine; I am pickier with it than red. If white doesn’t turn my head or make me pause I am likely to simply pass it by. I will buy inexpensive reds more frequently. Yet, overall a really good white wine will get my attention and hold my passions more than a red. Really interesting white wine is that good to me. These are three that are dissimilar to each other but each caught me with something that held me fast.

Domaine du Clape 2007 – A rare 100% Marsanne southern French wine that smelled of the honey and polish of beeswax, Asian pear, and neroli perfume. Tastes craved by the buzz of bees or flittering of hummingbird’s wing with white cala lillies, day lillies, fresh cut flower stalk, and a fat oval mouth-feel only to be felt with avocado but without its flavor. Its an unusual and what would be often considered contrary mix of both the feel of perfume and fat in the same glass. It nearly left me weak staring at the yellowish perfume color. It’s dry as if drinking Chanel #5 and with a finish as subtle and yet completely mind-altering as a whisper. $$

Bodegas Niades 2005 – The Matador’s jacket and glint off his spear are the character of this old vines Verdejo. It gleams and glints in the light almost distracting from the power and grace. A Hemmingway recount of dusty battle of Toreador in Spain. It is somehow determined to be as it is. Full bodied and full of life with pear, lemon grass, and a long white crushed mineral finish. It glows golden as the gleam off Mediterranean sea, as two people in a yellow cab lives pressed together whether they wish it or not, as with a destiny of flavors as the sun also rises… $$

Botani Moscatel Seco 2007 – Going to the country gonna eat me a lot of peaches, going to the country gonna eat me a lot of peaches. Get the jist of this Spanish Muscat? Don’t mistake it as sweet either but think fresh raw peach meat with some cardamom sprinkled on it. Barely a yellow hue with a nose of white peach and cardamom and what reminded me of the woody spicy nature of cinnamon bark. I think this would be great with seafood or even some mild spicy food, but I can’t wait to have it with brunch. Don’t tell James, he’ll try to live inside the bottle. Going to the country gonna eat me a lot of peaches... $

No comments: