Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The path to grape expectations

It has been some time since I have had names and vintages that I could rely on. I admit to having strayed to the beer side for a while. :) And in Oregon - why not!?! Still when a new local shop opened just 2 blocks from my work with tasting every Friday night it was the perfect reason to educate myself and expand my tastes. I have not missed a Friday in over 2 months since I first went there.

This blog will list the wines I am tasting, and as stated in the header to have those reading to go hopefully find a way to taste the wines. I also encourage you to find a place in your locale where you can consistently go and taste wines and ask lots of questions. I have been very fortunate to find a purveyor that meets that for me. He even puts up with my sometimes very uneducated questions and has been very helpful in furthering my knowledge.

I wont list wines here I don't like as I don't see the point in that. These are wines with interesting stories that left a mark on me. I will try to be very descriptive as well in my opinions and include cost and in my opinion value of the wines. Here is the costs key:
$ 0-20
$$ 20-40
$$$ 40-60
$$$$ 60-100 or more

My wine education is still in its beginnings but I am learning quickly. If you already are very educated hopefully this will expose you to some wine perhaps you have not tried or if you are more the beginner I hope it inspires you as well to the path of grape expectations. :)

2 comments:

Hugh O'Donnell said...

Hey Joel, I like good wine, but it's just a matter of "I know it when I taste it."

Maybe your blog will help educate me!

Looking forward to reading your musings.

Hugh O'Donnell aka Repairman

Joel said...

That's the point of this Blog Hugh! Drink before you buy. The listings here are just some ideas of wines you might want to taste. I dont recommend buying before trying! :)