Sunday, March 9, 2008

The only way to learn is by exposing yourself

Okay get yer mind out of the gutter. By exposing yourself I mean to information. :) Before I get onto a couple wines I wanted to recommend a book that was loaned to me by the local shop owner I do tasting with. Bacchus & Me - Adventures in the wine Cellar by Jay McInerney. This is an irreverent look at wine in 49 short essays. Its not a treatise on how taste, what to taste or such... Its simply a fun read that gave me a bit further understanding of some of the wines I've tasted as well as a curiosity for some I have not. Its a comical, candid reflection of the author's experiences as well as some good information for the less experienced in what perhaps to expect from some varietals.

Now that the literature is past on to the imbibe.
I thoroughly enjoy when the owner of the shop I frequent goes all mad scientist. I frequently learn the most from such. An example of this is when he had a tasting of 5 wines out and then with a somewhat enthused quizical look opened another different 5 bottles! This wasnt in the newsletter he sent out! :) Two wines that I took serious note of from that I list here.

L'ecole 41 Apogee Pepper Bridge Vineyard 1997 (Washington) - I couldn't believe he so casually opened this nice 11 yr old Walla Walla Bordeaux style blend. If you read my earlier posts I mentioned some of these styles can be to tannic for me. Perhaps its the Cabernet Franc, perhaps the soil, not sure yet. At any rate this blend was so very good! If you already like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, & Cabernet Franc. Find this. It was inky dark, smokey, fruity, and had a nice tobacco and herbal tone. And it was extremely smooth. I was very surprised how much I enjoyed it. I was told this still has a domestic style to it and is apparent in that. To my less educated palate it was just good. Go NW wines! If Bordeauxs can be like this I could enjoy them very much too. It solidifies my new found understanding that there is a vintage and vintner of every grape for every person. I'm not going to give up my love of Pinot Noir in change for these bigger bodied reds but I certainly got to expose my tastes to something quite good. Good luck finding the 1997 Pepper Bridge Apogee I think you may still be able to order from the vineyards library but not many places else. You can find out more about their Bordeaux style blends from different vintages at http://www.lecole.com/ $$

Radikon Oslavje Riserva 1999 (Italy) - Ok stop if you haven't read my post on Radikon prior scroll down and do. Okay, back? I just about cheered when I saw Michael pull out the 1999 Radikon Oslavje and begin to uncork it. The '01 was amazing and I heard the '99 was even more interesting. As before its a wine in contrast to wine. A Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Tocai blend... Still the fiery orange color but this time clear not cloudy. Scents of citrus, hot climate fruit, and apricot in the aroma. It was an intense wine. Full of dried apricot and rich flavored fruit, but also with crushed leaves and significantly dry with creamy feel and with a long sherry style alcohol body and finish. Almost tannic like a red one taster observed. If the last Radikon the scientist was a bit mad here his feverent dream has come to life. More miracle than monster. Think Bladerunner over Frankenstein. Oh yeah and this wine will cost ya. $$$$ (99/bottle) Again I encourage you to find and taste Radikon and expose and expand your horizons.

No comments: